Camping & Geocaching at Summit Lake State Park
5993 N Messick Rd, New Castle, IN 47362
Summit Lake Campout with the Geocaching Merit Badge
Rain is likely... it is recommended that all scouts pack their clothing and overnight gear in a protective bag. I have found that trash bags or tied up grocery bags placed in the pack provides enough layers of protection. Have shoes that can get muddy and dirty. The rain will not stop us from camping.
Geocaching - the world’s largest treasure hunt!
There are millions of geocaches worldwide, just waiting for you to find them. There are probably even some within walking distance of where you are right now. Visit Geocaching.com to see just how many geocaches are nearby and to learn how to start finding them.
Scout Should Bring:
- PONCHO and/or wet gear
- Shoes that can get muddy/dirty
- 2 sets of dry clothing, one to change into, and one emergency (socks, shorts/pants, shirt, undergarment)
- Mess kit
- Notebook with pen (or geocaching log)
- A sweater of jacket
- Sleeping bag and pillow
- Comfy bedding
- Camp Chair
- Tablet or Phone (find the geocaching app associated with www.geocaching.com and download it to your tablet or phone WITH PARENTAL PERMISSION)
Mr. Burke Is Bringing:
- Geocaching teaching items
- maps of area
- Geocaching trade item
- Internet Hotspot for those that need it for geocaching.
- Any additional items he deems necessary.
- 1926 Official Scout book.
- Scout Trailer and supplies.
We will leave the scout hut no later than 9:15 AM. Travel time is about 2 hours.
We should arrive back at the scout hut by 11:30 AM Sunday. If the times change for any reason, everyone will be notified.