Map Resources for Scouting and Outdoor Adventures
- CalTopo Maps - GREAT for targeted topo maps showing popular trails, and easy PDF creation for home printing.
- USGS Topo Maps - Use this for finding offical maps to purchase and for general research
- All Trails - If you don't want to pay or make an account, make sure you click "Explore". WIth a free account you can do some minimal activity, which is what I mostly use.
- OSM (OpenStreetMap) - The Android/iPhone apps OsmAnd for loading in GPS/GPX data is really good.
Indiana Forest and State Park Maps
Morgan-Monroe State Forest
- Morgan-Monroe Pathfinder Orienteering Map, a great orienteering map for those starting. The course is designed to be harder as you progress, 1 through 5.
Custom Weatherproof Maps
When printing maps for outdoors, we often print maps on "Rite in the Rain" All-Weather Copier Paper. Available here on Amazon.
I mostly use it on a color copier with perfect adherence of the toner every time. I don't believe this paper will work with ink jet printers.
I wish Geocache logs were always made of this stuff. :-P
Photo or laser print both sides. Not for inkjet printers.
Wood-based paper, no special processing.
Won’t melt or collect a static charge in printer (unlike some synthetic sheets), toner won’t rub or wash off.