Backpacking at Pate Hollow
4850 State Hwy 446, Bloomington, IN 47401
Mr. Jackson enjoys Backpacking, and it's a great way to enhance your skills at packing everything for a weekend on your back.
Over the weeks leading up to the trip, we will be discussing many aspects of backpacking. We have equipment that can be barrowed, like packs and tents.
Backpacking Tips and Thoughts from me and the troop.
To Prepare we will discuss the various aspects of backpacking as follows:
Tues., Aug 30 - Packs and Shelter
- Packs: Internal & External frame
- Tent vs hammock
- Sleeping bag
Tues., Sept 6 - Food, Cooking & Personal Gear
- Water treatment
Tues., Sept 13 - Personal Gear
- Rain gear
- Toilet paper
- First Aid kit
- Map & Compass
Tues., Sept 20 - Shake Down
- Bring pack to troop meeting for inspection
- Total backpacking trip will be approx 6 miles (4 on Saturday, 2 on Sunday)
- Those backpacking will need to pack Saturday lunch, Saturday dinner and Sunday breakfast (plus snacks)
- All supplies must be packed in and out
- Each scout is required to pack their own meal
- We will have a chapel service on the trail Sunday morning
The trailhead is located directly behind the Paynetown State Recreation Office, just west of the Indiana Conservation Officer Headquarters.